Monday 8 October 2012

12 The truth will set you free

I love the truth.

When I was a little boy, some fifty years ago, together with my sister I nicked a little piece of candy (value $ 0,05) from a store. At first it tasted wonderful but then came the guilt. That evening I couldn't sleep before I confessed my "crime".

No, I prefer to be honest.
I remember one day, about thirty years ago, there was a discussion at the office. One of the female arguers said: "Well, ask Fred. He never lies!"
Isn't it great to be known in such a way? (Rest assured: I have my flaws and acknowledge most of them...)
Yes, I want to be able to look anyone straight in the eyes.

Unfortunately many others (or most others?) think different. Little white lies, big fat lies.....if lies would torment the ones who uttered them, I think the whining could be heard in the ISS spacestation.....
On the other hand, if lieing would hurt, perhaps people would stop?

Months ago, when the "election battle" between Obama and Romney began, I heard a newsreporter on television say: "the battle has just begun and we already have our first loser: the truth!"

That remark kept singing in my head.

Lieing, cheating and blaming someone else by mankind started in the Garden of Eden. Adam blamed Eve although he took a bite from the fruit himself:
“Now the serpent was more subtle than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, "Yea, hath God said, ‘Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden’?" And the woman said unto the serpent, "We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden, but of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, ‘Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die.’" And the serpent said unto the woman, "Ye shall not surely die; for God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil." And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof and ate, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he ate. And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves things to gird about. And they heard the voice of the LORD God, walking in the garden in the cool of the day. And Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God amongst the trees of the garden. And the LORD God called unto Adam and said unto him, "Where art thou?" And he said, "I heard Thy voice in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; and I hid myself." And He said, "Who told thee that thou wast naked? Hast thou eaten of the tree whereof I commanded thee that thou shouldest not eat?" And the man said, "The woman whom Thou gavest to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I ate."” (Genesis 3:1-12 KJ21)

Adam could have said: "Yes Lord, I'm to blame."

Just like him, many like to include others in the hope to look less guilty or not guilty at all.
Apparently a multitude of men and women lack the courage to be honest, sincere. To show integrity, not some buth the whole. Among them are leaders, politicians, priests a.s.o. Here in Holland, the politician with the record for breaking a promise is our (in)famous Geert Wilders. In 2010 he broke a promise regarding the retired within 12 hours.
He will never get my vote...

What does the Word of God tell us about the truth?

Jesus said:
“...I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life...” (John 14:6 KJ21)

Here He showed the world that He is (!) equal to God. For it is written in the book of the prophet Jeremiah (according to Darby's translation):
“But Jehovah Elohim is truth; he is the living God, and the King of eternity...” (Jeremiah 10:10a Darby)

Jesus is not a truth, He is the Truth! He doesn't lie, cheat, twist or withhold words.

There is a wellknown quote: "the truth will set you free".
A statement so true. Withholding the truth can literally ill a human being, physically and/or spiritually. A confession can bring great relief. Read the words of King David:
“A Psalm of David, giving instruction. Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered. Blessed is the man unto whom the LORD imputeth not iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no guile. When I kept silent, my bones waxed old through my groaning all the day long. For day and night Thy hand was heavy upon me; the sap of my soul was turned into the drought of summer. Selah I acknowledged my sin unto Thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, "I will confess my transgressions unto the LORD," and Thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah For this shall every one that is godly pray unto Thee in a time when Thou mayest be found; surely the floods of great waters shall not come nigh unto him.” (Psalms 32:1-6 KJ21)

The truth will set us free.
When we sincery confess our sins to God, He will forgive us, for Jesus' sake.
The truth will set us free, but above all: Jesus, the incarnated Word of God, the Truth in Person, will set us free!
He has delivered millions and millions (perhaps billions) and wants to deliver you to from evil, the eager claws of Satan.
Jesus gave His life for those who want to believe in His Father and in Him:
“But God commendeth His love toward us in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.” (Romans 5:8 KJ21)

What a wonderful loving Truth!

"Think before you act" is a saying every sensible person keeps in mind. May I ask you to think again, again and again before violating the Truth (again) ?

No comments:

Post a Comment